Tuesday 21 January 2014

Skulduggery Pleasant

We have been through many phases in our house, there has been Thomas the Tank Engine, Octonauts, Deadly 360, Hello Kitty, Super Heroes, Harry Potter, Moshi Monsters to name just a few.  The current obsessions are Minecraft (which I already wrote about here) and Skulduggery Pleasant.

Some friends started reading this Derek Landy series, and I thought there was no way that my daughter would like to read them, but I showed her one of the books in the library and she was quite keen.  Over the Christmas holidays we managed to acquire books 1 to 7, and I am so pleased we did.

The blurb on the back of the first book is:

"Meet Skulduggery Pleasant; detective, magician, warrior.  Oh yes, and dead."

How cool does that sound.

My daughter started reading it, and my son was interested so I started reading it out loud to him.  Currently my son and I have just started book 2, my daughter is coming to the end of book 6 and the Husband is just about to start book 3.  We are really, really  enjoying the series.

Now, normally, when the kids discover some new craze I go find some games/word searches/crafty ideas on Pinterest/the internet and we work through them.  This time it has been different, I really couldn't find that much out there.  Although, there is some very cool artwork here, and the official website here also has some things to do on it.  Oh and I also found this, which gives you step by step instructions on how to draw Skulduggery Pleasant.

So this time we've had to come up with our own crafts and printables.  My daughter owns a fashion designer book and she created her own Stephanie using the stencils in the book.  I created a word search inspired by Skulduggery Pleasant.  Here it is.  I hope you have fun with it.  I have an answers sheet, please leave a comment if you need it, and I'll try to put that up too.


2 comments:

  1. My youngest enjoyed these books a few years ago, we used to take it in turn to read aloud to each other (my cunning plan to get him to read to me) They are very witty, a lot funnier than I was expecting. I'm glad you are enjoying them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have had me chuckling away. Great idea to get your youngest to read to you - I may well try that too.

      Delete