Saturday 1 March 2014

Yorkshire Puddings and Pancakes - My Kind of Recipe

I'm not very good at following recipes, in fact I rarely follow one exactly, even if I'm planning on it.  Everyone's the same, right?

I have a terrayaki Chicken recipe which I've only every used on pork and salmon for example.

But I do love Jamie Oliver's recipe for Yorkshire Puddings - I think it is because it is pretty vague anyway:

  • 1 mug of flour (Plain/All Purpose)
  • 1 mug of milk (I've used powdered, semi-skimmed and full fat)
  • 1 egg (I buy mixed sized eggs, so this will work with any size)
Put the oven on high (200 degrees) and put some oil in muffin trays (just a dribble in each).  Let it heat up while you make the batter.  I make the batter by adding the milk to the flour and whisking them together before adding the egg.  Pour into the muffin trays with hot oil and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden and puffed up.  Delicious and no measuring.  Yay.


For pancakes I use the same recipe, but add about an extra 1/2 cup of water to the batter, until it is a slightly sloppier consistency - heading more towards double cream consistency.  I add a little oil/butter to a medium hot pan  and then enough batter to cover it.  You'll be able to see it change colour as it cooks.  One the colour has changed all over turn the pancake over - flip if you're brave,  I'm not and just use a spatula.  From one egg's worth of batter I get about 10 pancakes. This is 2 egg's worth of batter made into pancakes.


The rules in our house are that you have to have two savoury pancakes before you're allowed a sweet.  My favourite savoury is garlicky mushrooms with a little creme fraiche.  Delicious.  Sweet has to be lemon juice and sugar - yum yum!


We'll be having pancakes for tea next Tuesday (not these - they've already gone!) on Pancake Day!  They won't last long...


No comments:

Post a Comment