Thursday 13 November 2014

Owl Hats

I love owls, I always have.  I used to have a whole collection of owls, collected from wherever we went on holiday or when I saw a particularly cute looking one.  That was until my Mum decided that I should be the one to dust my collection, then it reduced drastically very quickly!  

This means that I love making owl-y projects.  I am grateful that I am not alone in my love of owls and that other people seem to like them too. It means that there are a number of free owl-y projects out there to try.

One that I have made a lot is this owl hat.  It is such a lovely easy pattern to follow, and I've made it in a couple of the sizes and they have fit well.  The trickiest bit is the first row and making sure that you don't twist your foundation chain.  Once you've managed that, the rest is easy.  The only change I've made is being too lazy to crochet the beak, when I've got orange felt to hand (and when I first made the hat I didn't actually have any orange yarn).

Here is the starting chain, which this time I managed not to twist on my first attempt.  Hurrah!


It comes together quickly, especially if you're making it for a little head!


Here it is without the owl-y decoration, I have a few ideas on how to make different animals using the same pattern.


I love those ear flaps.


Finally adding the finishing touches.  I really like that the owls are sleeping.


And here is our phrenology head modelling the owl hat.  Which I have to remember is a pretty good size for a baby/toddler head!


I think that this hat would be a perfect project if you want to try a hat, but don't feel up to crocheting in the round yet.

2 comments: