Wednesday 7 December 2016

Homemade Hand Hotties

I'm in the process of crafting for this Christmas and it reminded me of my "makes" from last year.  I created a little hand hottie for each family member we get presents for.


I created simple rectangles using half double crochet(hdc), ranging in size from about 14hdc across to about 20hdc across. 


I had to make the rectangle long enough that folded in half it would create a nice sized hottie, plus a little extra for a flap at the back to keep the hottie insert inside.


For some I had to think about the colours I was going to use, for others I simply used the same colour for the rectangle and then added felt for decoration.  


For a couple I added crochet flowers as decoration.


I had a lot of fun making these, and so had the covers finished way before Christmas, hence I have a fair few pictures that weren't taken on Christmas Eve in the fading light!


The insides took a little longer to complete, only because I was hoping my daughter would do them for me!   I used small rectangles of material and sewed them together leaving a small opening for some rice.  We turned them inside out for a prettier finish, added the rice and then sewed up the holes.  


We added instructions saying that:

" I'm a hand hottie.  Put my insides in the microwave for 40 second and then return me to my holder and keep me in your pocket.  I will keep your hand nice and warm!"




My Mum is really pleased with hers, and has also nicked the one I made for my Dad to keep both hands warm (should have thought about that really!).  She used hers everyday in the cold.  I'm really pleased with how they turned out.  I still can't decide which is my favourite.


The method also works for hotties that are a larger size, I created a couple for the kids and they ask for them every night to keep their beds nice and warm.


They would work as phone socks too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment